How to Apply

Do I Qualify?

To find out if you qualify, you must:

If you think you may qualify, please call your local WIC agency and make an appointment.

To Apply

 To apply call your local WIC program and make an appointment.

 To find the agency closest to you:

  • Click here to use the map, OR
  • If you live in Iowa, call the state office at 1-800-532-1579 .
  • If you live outside of Iowa, call the state office at 1-515-281-6650 .

What Do I Need at my First Appointment?

After scheduling your WIC appointment you will need to bring with you:

  • Proof of Iowa Address - Please bring proof of address to your appointment. One of the following items that have your current address on it will work: a current utility bill, a rent or mortgage receipt, or a driver's license, Iowa non-driver ID, voter registration and public assistance notification or identification such as Medicaid, hawk-I, FIP, and Food Stamps (SNAP).
  • Proof of Identity - Please bring proof of identity to your appointment. Examples of acceptable forms of I.D. include: valid driver's license, non-driver I.D., passport/visa, social security card, work or school I.D. card, Medicaid or Health Benefit card, pay stubs, Matricula Consular Card, immunization record, other medical or health record (including crib cards), birth certificate, voter registration, and eWIC card.
  • Proof of Income - Please bring proof of your household income. Some examples of proof to bring in are pay stubs, unemployment benefit checks, award notices, business records, a signed statement from your employer, or income tax forms. Applicants certified as eligible for certain other assistance programs are automatically income eligible for the WIC program. Please bring proof of the following to automatically qualify as income eligible: certified as eligible to receive Food Stamps (SNAP), Medicaid or FIP; presumptively eligible for either FIP or Medicaid; applicant for Medicaid Home and Community Based Ill and Handicapped Services, Intellectual Disability, AIDS/HIV, or Brain Injured Waiver Program; member of a household with a FIP recipient or a pregnant woman or an infant currently on Medicaid.

How Do I Appeal a Disqualification or Non-Qualification?

You have the right to a hearing if you wish to appeal a disqualification or decision that you do not qualify for WIC. Your appeal rights are explained below.

  • Send a written request for a hearing to your local WIC agency within 90 days of receiving this notice.
  • The hearing officer will schedule a hearing within 21 days of receiving your request. You will receive notice of the time, place and date at least 10 days before the hearing.
  • Before and during the hearing, you have the right to read all of the public documents on file about the decision that is under appeal.
  • During the hearing you may speak for yourself or be assisted by a relative, friend, other person, or lawyer at your expense; bring witnesses; question or refute any testimony or evidence; question any adverse witnesses; and provide evidence to establish facts and circumstances related to your case.
  • The local hearing officer will issue a written decision within 45 days of your request for the hearing unless a longer time period is agreed upon by both parties.
  • Either party may appeal the written decision to the Division Director, Division of Health Promotion and Chronic Disease Prevention, Iowa Department of Public Health. This appeal must be made within 15 days of the mailing date of the decision made by the local hearing officer. The procedures listed above must be followed for a second appeal about the decision.

For more information about WIC, call (515) 281-6650. You may also use the Contact Us system to send us a question online.


In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

Read the full USDA Non-Discrimination Statement and to learn how to file a complaint.