The Swimming Pool and Spa Program requirements for lifeguards can be found in 641 IAC Chapter 15. The Application of the Federal Child Labor Provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) to the Employment of Lifeguards outlines the federal requirements for lifeguards employed that are under the age of 18.
The following is a list of certifications that the Swimming Pool and Spa Program currently recognizes. If your organization would like to have their course reviewed by the department to become recognized please contact us.
American Red Cross (ARC)
- Shallow Water Lifeguarding (limited to swimming pool with water depths not exceeding 5ft per training)
Ellis & Associate
- Pool Lifeguard (limited to water depth not to exceed 15ft per training)
- Special Facilities Lifeguard
- Shallow Lifeguard (limited to water depth not to exceed 5ft per training)
Starfish Aquatics Institute
- Starguard with Waterpark Module
Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA)
Boy Scouts of America
National Aquatic Safety Company (NASCO)
- Basic Lifeguard
- Waterpark Shallow Water Lifeguard (limited to water depth not to exceed 5ft per training)
- Waterpark Deep Water Lifeguard