National Overview from SAMHSA
The Strategic Prevention Framework for Prescription Drugs (SPF Rx) grant program provides an opportunity for states, U.S. territories, pacific jurisdictions, and tribal entities that have completed a Strategic Prevention Framework State Incentive Grant (SPF SIG) to target the priority issue of prescription drug misuse.
The program is designed to raise awareness about the dangers of sharing medications and to work with pharmaceutical and medical communities on the risks of overprescribing to young adults. SPF Rx will also raise community awareness and bring prescription drug abuse prevention activities and education to schools, communities, parents, prescribers, and their patients. In addition, SAMHSA will track reductions in opioid overdoses and the incorporation of Prescription Monitoring Program (PMP) data into needs assessments and strategic plans as indicators of the program's success.
PMPs are state-run databases used to track the prescribing and dispensing of controlled prescription drugs to patients. They are designed to monitor this information for suspected abuse or diversion (i.e., channeling drugs into illegal use), and can give a prescriber or pharmacist critical information regarding a patient's controlled substance prescription history.
State Overview from IDPH
In September 2016, SAMHSA's Center for Substance Abuse Prevention awarded the State of Iowa through the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) a $1,858,080, five-year SPF Rx grant. Iowa was awarded $371,616 per year for five years.
Key elements of the Strategic Prevention Framework for Prescription Drugs (SPF Rx) project:
- Establish and maintain an interagency Prescription Monitoring Program Advisory Council known as the Prescription Drug Task Force
- Identify highest need counties and prescription drug disparities
- Create a SPF driven, evidence-based prescription drug misuse prevention infrastructure to identify, promote, and evaluate evidence-based practices, programs and policies
- IDPH and the funded counties will utilize the Strategic Prevention Framework (SPF) process
- An Advisory Council and State Epidemiological Workgroup will guide and provide project data trends and oversight at the state and county level
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Policy Guidelines for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain, and SAMHSA's Opioid Overdose Prevention Toolkit will serve as resources to train on prevention strategies. Experienced Capacity Coaches will also be utilized
- A statewide media campaign will be created and disseminated on the misuse of prescription drugs
- Funding is directed to the 3 "highest need" counties identified through data indicators focusing on prescription drug misuse through a competitive RFP process
- Evaluation will be provided by the Iowa Department of Human Rights, Division of Criminal and Juvenile Justice Planning
SPF Rx Evaluation
SPF Rx Prevention Parent Consent Letter (Active)
SPF Rx Prevention Parent Consent Letter (Passive)
Generation Rx Post-Survey Instrument
LifeSkills for High School Survey Instrument
Strengthening Families 10-14 Parent/Caregiver Retrospective Survey Instrument
Strengthening Families 10-14 Youth Retrospective Survey Instrument
SPF Rx Substance Abuse Prevention Survey Instrument - This survey is for SPF Rx grantees use only.