Permit to Practice
This page reflects the application process for individuals who operate radiation machines or administer radioactive materials. The permit types available are:
- General Radiologic Technologist
- Nuclear Medicine Technologist
- Radiation Therapist
- Radiologist Assistant
- Limited Radiologic Technologist - chest, extremities, spine, shoulder, pediatrics
- X-Ray Equipment Operator - Podiatric
- X-Ray Equipment Operator - Bone Densitometry
If you have questions regarding your need to hold a permit to practice please visit the Permits to Operate Page.
The IDPH Bureau of Radiological Health has finalized rule making changes pertaining to fees for the radiological health programs. The fee adjustments will be in effect September 18, 2019. Please visit the rules to review the changes for your particular license type. The updated rules regarding fees can be found in Chapters 38 and 42 on https://idph.iowa.gov/radiological-health.
Apply or Renew Online
PLEASE REVIEW THE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE ACCESSING THE LICENSING PORTAL
Renew an Existing Permit to Practice
IMPORTANT NOTES FOR ENTERING CONTINUING EDUCATION:
* Course Start & End Date: Enter the dates the course was taken, NOT the course approval dates.
* Do not add more than one CEU without saving - this will help prevent the system from timing out.
* Choose the biennium date for the current year, not the next biennium.
Apply for a New Permit
How to add CT Endorsement to your existing Nuclear Medicine permit
Apply for a Limited Radiography Examination
Apply or Renew by Paper
Application for a General Permit
Includes: General Radiologic Technologists, Nuclear Medicine Technologists, and Radiation Therapists.
Application for a Limited Permit
Includes: Chest, Extremity, Spine, Shoulder & Pediatric.
Apply/Renew/Reinstate for a New X-ray Operator/Radiologist Assistant Permit
Add a Classification to an Existing Permit
Apply for Limited Radiography Exam
Verify a Permit:
- Click HERE for instructions on how to perform a public search using the public portal option.
- Click HERE for instructions on how login and view or print a license/permit/certificate.
- Once you have reviewed the instructions above you may proceed to the Regulatory Programs Licensing Portal.
For questions related to Permit to Practice licensing requirements please see our Program Page.
For assistance navigating the Licensing Portal, please contact the Regulatory Programs Help Desk at 855-824-4357 or email ADPEREHreg@idph.iowa.gov.