The Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) is no longer administering the industrial radiography certification examination and is not accepting applications. The Conference of Radiation Control Program Directors (CRCPD) has entered an agreement with Pearsen VUE to offer computer based testing for the industrial radiography certification examination at one of their numerous testing centers in Iowa.
**Please visit the CRCPD website for information regarding other testing entities:
The Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) assumes the responsibility to ensure that radiographers receive adequate radiation safety training. An effective method for evaluating the adequacy of such training is a written examination program. Under rules adopted by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) and the Agreement States, radiographers nationwide are required to pass such an exam in order to complete the certification process.
No licensee or registrant shall allow any individual to act as a radiographer, radiographer trainee, or radiographer trainer until the individual meets the requirements in 641-45.1(10) "Training and testing for radiographic personnel."
IDPH requires a radiographer's assistant to possess an IDPH issued trainee status card and work under the direct supervision of a radiographer trainer (instructor) with an IDPH issued trainer status card.
Click here for an overview of the process for radiographer training and trainer/trainee requirements.
The online State of Iowa industrial radiography trainer/trainee card application process includes:
- Navigating to the Iowa Department of Public Health Regulatory Programs public portal by clicking here.
- Create a personal account if one has not been created yet (click here for instructions).
- Once a personal account has been created, you will then have the ability to "apply for a program," specifically industrial radiography trainer/trainee applications (click here for instructions).
- Required documentation to upload include:
- Iowa Trainee Card - 40 hour radiation safety training
- Iowa Trainer Card - Copy of current industrial radiography card indicating applicant has been certified for one year as a radiographer.
- To help aid the application review process, you may also upload a completed paper application trainee or trainer ,
If you have any questions or need assistance with the online public portal system, please contact the HelpDesk at (855) 824-4357 or ADPEREHreg@idph.Iowa.gov.
Iowa industrial radiographer trainer/trainee paper applications:
For more information or questions please contact Stuart Jordan at (515) 380-8837.