Renew a License
All licenses issued or renewed after July 1, 2014, will expire on June 30, 2017. Licensees have a one-month grace period (for most licenses until the end of July) to renew their license without paying additional penalties or late fees. After the grace period, the following late fees apply:
- For renewal during the month of August (or 2 months after the expiration date if your license expired prior to June 30), licensees must submit an additional $60 late penalty fee in addition to meeting the other requirements for renewal. The late fee is applied to each license that has not been renewed in a timely manner.
- For renewal during the month of September (or 3 months after the expiration date if your license expired prior to June 30) and up to one year late, licensees must submit an additional $100 late penalty fee in addition to meeting the other requirements for renewal. The late fee is applied to each license that has not been renewed in a timely manner. The license is not valid for practice.
- If your license is more than one year past its expiration date, the license is also not valid for practice in Iowa and you must meet the requirements for reinstatement of the license. Licensees will be required to pay the full 3-year renewal fee and shall not be entitled to a pro-rated reduced renewal fee.
To renew a license, applicants must submit an application for renewal (either online or via a paper application), pay the renewal fee, and meet the continuing education requirements for renewal. Continuing education hours must be completed during the renewal term of the license to be eligible (unless your license expired over 365 days ago - reinstatement requires either retesting or retaking all continuing education hours). Please see the "Continuing Education" link for details on continuing education requirements. Allow up to 4 weeks for processing all applications.
Reinstatement Requirements (License expired more than 1 year ago)
If your license expired more than one year ago, you must meet the requirements for reinstatement. A licensee has two options for reinstatement: 1) either retaking and successfully passing the applicable licensing examination; or (2) retaking and successfully completing all continuing education requirements. The appropriate license renewal fee must also be paid and board rules specify that a licensee shall not be entitled to a prorated, reduced renewal fee.
To reinstate by “retaking” continuing education – you must provide evidence of taking the required number of continuing education courses for each license you are seeking to reinstate. The courses must be taken at least one year after the license expiration date to qualify. For example, if your license expired on March 1, 2014, courses must be taken after March 1, 2015, to qualify for reinstatement of your license. If your license has been lapsed for more than one renewal cycle (e.g. in 2011), you must provide proof of retaking CEUs for each renewal cycle in which the license has been lapsed. For example, to reinstate a single plumbing license that lapsed in 2014, 16 hours of CEUs would be required.
To reinstate by retaking the applicable licensing exam, download an Exam Candidate Application from our website (located under the link for “Examination”) or submit the online Exam Candidate Application and select reinstatement as the basis for the application. The application must be submitted along with the fee of $35 for each examination. Upon approval, you will be sent information on scheduling your examination through Kirkwood Community College. A testing fee of $95 per examination must be paid directly to Kirkwood.
After you have successfully completed your examination or continuing education, submit the application for renewal, along with the correct fee for each license you are reinstating.
Combining Licenses into a Mechanical License
For licensees that currently hold a HVAC/R and a hydronics license at the same level of master or journeyperson, you may elect to combine these licenses into a single mechanical license. Renewal fees will be assessed as a single license if converting to the mechanical license. No fee is charged to combine licenses when it is done at renewal. PLEASE NOTE - If you are renewing into the new MECHANICAL license, there are special instructions when doing this via the public portal. In the instructions for individual renewals, see the section marked 'Combine to Mechanical."
- Paper applications must be submitted with a $25 processing fee.
- Late renewal is subject to an additional late penalty fee. If you submit your renewal application more than one month late, but less than two months late, include an additional $60 late penalty fee for each trade discipline license being renewed late. If you submit your application more than two months late, but less than one year late, include an additional $100 late penalty fee for each trade discipline license being renewed late.
- If your license renewal term is less than the full three years, renewal fees will be prorated using a one-sixth deduction for each six-month period of the renewal cycle. However, if you are reinstating your license, you are not entitled to a prorated, reduced renewal fee.
- See Fees link for complete information.
Online renewal of licenses is now available. If you have a license that has already expired or is due to expire PRIOR to June 30, 2017, you may now submit an online renewal application or submit a paper renewal application, along with the appropriate fee. The board has a new licensing database. It is very important that you review the instructions for creating an account and renewing a license prior to attempting to renew the license online. Go to the IDPH Regulatory Programs PMSB page and review the instructions found there.
Renewal notices were mailed during the week of May 15, 2017. If you did NOT receive a renewal notice, please be sure the board has correct address information on file. An online address change can be submitted here: http://idph.iowa.gov/pmsb/address-changes. You can also download a copy of the individual renewal notice for licenses that expire on June 30, 2017.
Paper Renewal Application