“Radiation therapist” means an individual who performs radiation therapy under the supervision of a radiation oncologist licensed in Iowa.
“Radiation therapy” means the science and art of performing simulation radiography or applying ionizing radiation emitted from x-ray machines, particle accelerators, or radioactive materials in the form of sealed sourced to human beings for therapeutic purposes.
“ARRT” means the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists.
“Therapeutic” means a medical treatment using radiation for therapy purposes.
ARRT recognized schools in radiation therapy can be found at www.arrt.org. Click on “Educators and Students”, then “Educational Programs”.
Proof of passing score on ARRT’s radiation therapy examination.
To apply or renew a permit to practice visit the regulatory programs page at Regulatory Programs - Permit to Practice
Continuing Education Requirements for Radiation Therapists
Report 24.0 hours obtained within the biennium indicated on your permit.
- You must report the hours with your renewal application on the year your CEs are due.
- CE is due at the time of renewal. Failure to complete the hours will result in an expired permit and you will not be allowed to perform radiation therapy procedures.
- You may submit proof of activities recognized by the ARRT.
- Activities may be lectures or self-studies. The same lecture may be repeated only once in a biennium. The self-study activity may not be repeated.
- Acceptable proof of completion must be documentation signed and dated by the CE provider that includes the participant’s name, title of the activity, approval number for the activity, dates of attendance, number of contact hours for the activity, the name of the approving organization, and signature of the sponsor or instructor or authorized representative of the sponsor or instructor.
- It is your responsibility to make sure that your proof of completion meets the requirements in #6.
- You must maintain proof of continuing education for at least 3 years.
- Continuing education obtained to satisfy disciplinary or enforcement action or as part of a corrective action plan may not be reported to meet continuing education requirements.
- All permit holders are subject to a department audit at any time.