Limited Radiologic Technologist
“Radiologic technologist” means an individual, excluding x-ray equipment operators, who performs radiography of the human body as ordered by an individual authorized by Iowa law to order radiography.
“Limited radiologic technologist” performs radiography for the chest, spine, extremities, shoulder or pediatrics, excluding CT and fluoroscopy.
“Radiography” means a technique for generating and recording an x-ray pattern for the purpose of providing the user with an image(s) during or after termination of the exposure.
“ARRT” means the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists.
Completion of an IDPH recognized training program. For recognized programs, please click on the Schools Approved for Training link below or contact Matthew Millard at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 515-725-1077.
The IDPH will be offering Online Limited Radiography Courses beginning October 1, 2019. The courses are designed to meet the requirements of the IDPH and to prepare the student for the IDPH State Limited Examination required to obtain a Limited Radiologic Technologist Permit to Practice. The course will be broken down into categories in which the students can "pick and choose" which categories would work out best for them. ALL students much complete the Core Category but then may choose which specific body part area they want to complete (Chest, Extremities, and/or Spines). The cost for the course is based on the number of categories being completed and are $200 per category. For instance if someone is only wanting the spine section then it would $200 for the Core category plus $200 for the spine section for a total of $400.
- Spring Semester - First Full Week of February - Application Deadline: January 25th
- Summer Semester - First Full Week of June - Application Deadline: May 25th
- Fall Semester - First Full Week of October - Application Deadline: September 25th
Google Classroom is used as the delivery platform so all students must have a gmail email account to be registered for an IDPH Limited Radiography Class.
- At least 70% on the ARRT limited scope of practice in radiography examination core section and at least 70% on each category
- At least 70% on the American Chiropractic Registry of Radiologic Technologists Limited Radiography Examination, or
- At least 70% on a department-approved examination.
To apply for a permit, renew a permit, or apply for a limited radiographer test, visit the regulatory programs page at Regulatory Programs - Permit to Practice
Your renewal application should be submitted approximately 45 days before your permit expires.
Continuing Education Requirements for Radiologic Technologists
Report 12.0 hours obtained within the biennium indicated on your permit.
- You must report the hours with your renewal application on the year your CEs are due.
- CE is due at the time of renewal. Failure to complete the hours will result in an expired permit and you will not be allowed to perform diagnostic radiography procedures.
- You may submit proof of activities recognized by the ARRT.
- Activities may be lectures or self-studies. The same lecture may be repeated only once in a biennium. The self-study activity may not be repeated.
- Acceptable proof of completion must be documentation signed and dated by the CE provider that includes the participant’s name, title of the activity, approval number for the activity, dates of attendance, number of contact hours for the activity, the name of the approving organization, and signature of the sponsor or instructor or authorized representative of the sponsor or instructor.
- It is your responsibility to make sure that your proof of completion meets the requirements.
- You must maintain proof of continuing education for at least 3 years.
- Continuing education obtained to satisfy disciplinary or enforcement action or as part of a corrective action plan may not be reported to meet continuing education requirements.
- All permit holders are subject to a department audit at any time.