Welcome to Iowa's Office of Medical Cannabidiol
The vision of the Office of Medical Cannabidiol (OMC) at the Iowa Department of Public Health is to have a high-quality, effective, and compliant medical cannabidiol program for Iowa residents with serious medical conditions. The OMC works to balance a patient’s need for access to treatment of their debilitating medical condition, with the requirement to ensure the safety and efficacy of the products.
Notice to License a Second Manufacturer
On September 8, 2020 the OMC released a Request for Proposals (RFP) to license a second medical cannabidiol manufacturer in Iowa. On December 22, the OMC posted a notice of intent to license a manufactuer in Cedar Rapids, IA. Information on this Notice can be found on the Department's website at the link below:
Gov. Reynolds signs HF2589 into Law, Effective on July 1, 2020
On June 29, 2020, Governor Kim Reynolds signed HF2589 into law, which will be effective on July 1, 2020.
The updated Helathcare Practitioner Certification Form, which reflects amended or added conditions, is linked below:
The Office of Medical Cannabidiol has provided further guidance and communications to its stakeholders on changes and alterations to processes based on these changes. For any questions, for any questions, please contact the Office of Medical Cannabidiol at (515)-725-2076 or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
COVID-19 Recommendations & Updates
During the response to COVID-19, the OMC will be fully operational. Live updates from the Department on Iowa's COVID response can be found HERE. We also encourage everyone to follow individual precautions as outlined by the CDC. The OMC also provides the additional guidance to patients, caregivers, and stakeholders:
- Online Application
- Until otherwise notified, please submit all patient and caregiver applications online
- If applying online is not an option, please mail your application and do not hand-deliver it to the Department
- If submitting your application by paper in any way, you are likely to experience a delay in response time
- Seeing a Physician
- It may be difficult to see your physician during this time. Patients are encouraged to check with their physician about their ability to certify them electronically or by using telemedicine. If your physician cannot support telemedicine or see you during this time, please call the OMC and we will work to support you.
- For the most frequentyly asked questions by our patients and caregivers, please review our Medical Cannabidiol Patient FAQ
- For information on becoming a patient, please visit our "For Patients and Caregivers" page.
- For information on our online registration process, or to renew your card, please visit our "Patient Registration" page.