Bureau of Oral and Health Delivery Systems
Promoting the health and wellness of Iowans through the prevention and early detection of dental disease and through the promotion of optimal oral health
What We Do
The bureau administers programs in partnership with community-based organizations and other stakeholders to reduce the risk of oral disease and improve oral health status of Iowans. Bureau staff are involved in oral health surveillance and data assessment, program and policy development, education and training, and technical assistance.
Programs administered by the bureau include I-Smile™ (part of the Maternal and Child Health program), I-Smile™ @School, and I-Smile™ Silver. The I-Smile™ programs connect Iowans with dental, medical, and community resources for a lifetime of health and wellness.
Other bureau activities include:
- promoting community water fluoridation,
- representing oral health on coalitions and interdisciplinary workgroups,
- overseeing Iowa’s school dental screening requirement,
- leading the Cavity Free Iowa workgroup and project,
- creating educational materials to promote the importance of oral health,
- using data and other information to report on oral health status of Iowans, and
- assisting the dental board with public health supervision agreements and reporting for dental hygienists and assistants.
The bureau also manages contracts for the Donated Dental Services program through Delta Dental of Iowa; the Fulfilling Iowa’s Need for Dentists loan repayment program through Delta Dental of Iowa; and the Children’s Oral Health for Underserved Populations project through the University of Iowa College of Dentistry.
Use the tabs on the left side of the page to learn more about the bureau’s work, find educational materials, and review data and program reports.
Bob Russell, DDS, MPH, MPA, CPM, FACD, FICD
State Public Health Dental Director
Lucas State Office Building
321 E. 12th Street, Des Moines, IA 50319
Phone: (515) 725-1721
Toll free: 1-866-528-4020
Fax: (515) 242-6384