Child Care Screen Time and Physical Activity Guidelines
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends limiting children's total screen time (TV, DVD, and video viewing) to no more than one to two hours per day. For children younger than two years, no screen time. The American Academy of Pediatrics also encourages adequate physical activity for children. Printable parent-focused brochures, child care posters and fact sheets addressing these recommendations are included.
Materials were developed and distributed by the Iowa Department of Public Health Bureau of Nutrition and Health Promotion and funded by the CDC and USDA’s WIC program.
5-2-1-0 Healthy Choices Count!
Iowa has created Healthy Choices Count! It’s a health-focused movement for kids that’s under the nationally recognized program 5-2-1-0 and is part of Iowa's Healthiest State Initiative. 5-2-1-0 stands for:
- 5 or more fruits and vegetables
- 2 hours or less of screen time
- 1 hour or more of physical activity
- 0 sugary drinks (more water)
- For information and resources for early care providers, families, schools, health care institutions, and community organizations http://www.iowahealthieststate.com/resources/individuals/5210/