It’s not awkward. It's your health. The Title X Family Planning Program (family planning) is here to help Iowans. As the only Federal program dedicated solely to providing comprehensive family planning and related preventive health services, family planning clinics offer reproductive health services and community education across the state of Iowa.
Family planning clinics in Iowa can help you with education, counseling, and access to a wide variety of contraception methods along with preventive screenings. Family planning services are for all Iowans, of any age, who need a broad range of family planning methods and services, including:
- Cervical, breast and testicular cancer screenings
- Services for pre-conception health and achieving pregnancy (includes basic infertility services)
- Testing and treatment for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) or sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- HIV testing and referral
- Screening for substance use disorder and referrals
- Pregnancy diagnosis and counseling
- Referrals to other health and social services
Find a Family Planning Clinic now.
Family planning is available to assist you through affordable, voluntary family planning services. Fees are based on patient income, on a sliding fee scale. Individuals are never turned away due to the inability to pay.
Family Planning Services
- Reproductive Life Planning
- Education about the prevention of sexually transmitted diseases and HIV/AIDS
- Education about the impact of lifestyle choices on reproductive health and outcomes
- Education about abstinence
- Education about natural family planning methods
- Education about the importance of preventive health screenings
- How to plan a healthy pregnancy (preconception planning)
- How to talk with parents and others about sexuality
- How to make responsible sexual decisions
Wellness Tests & Screenings
- Wellness exams including birth control exams
- Birth control method supplies
- Tests and treatment for sexually transmitted diseases
- Cancer screening: Pap smears and breast exams
- Infertility exams, counseling, and referral
- Tests for high blood pressure
- Pregnancy tests
Cost of Services
The costs for services at family planning clinics are based on the person's ability to pay and are often less costly than at other health centers. Family planning clinics offer quality, confidential health care. Medical services are provided by a clinical service provider (physicians, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, certified nurse midwives, and registered nurses with an expanded scope of practice who are trained and permitted by state-specific regulations), and trained in family planning health care. Educational programs offered respond to local community needs.
Iowa Contacts for Family Planning
Healthy Families Contact
Provides information on maternal, child, and family planning services and referrals. Phone: (800) 369-2229
Teen & Adolescent Contact
Provides health information and referrals to local resources for adolescents. Phone: (800) 443-8336
Community Education Resources to Help Iowans
Family planning clinics can help Iowans of all ages. From preteens to teens to those over the age of 60 years, Family planning services are here to help you.
Resources Available for Family Planning in Iowa Communities
- Event speakers
- Parent-child communication assistance
- Reproductive health services
- Birth control
- Help with other family planning-related issues
Knowledge Resources for Family Planning
Program Contact Information: The Federal program for Iowans is administered by Lindsey Jones, MHA, and is located at the Lucas State Office Building in Des Moines, Iowa. Contact the program by phone at (515) 321-8159.