The Title X Family Planning Program is the only Federal program dedicated solely to the provision of family planning and related preventive health services. The program is designed to provide contraceptive supplies and information to all who want and need them, with priority given to persons from low-income families.
The Title X mission is to assist individuals in determining the number and spacing of their children through the provision of affordable, voluntary family planning services. Title X Family Planning Clinics offer reproductive health services and community education across the state of Iowa. These services include:
Reproductive Health Services:
- Wellness exams including birth control exams
- Birth control method supplies
- Tests and treatment for sexually transmitted diseases
- Cancer screening: Pap smears and breast exams
- Infertility exams, counseling, and referral
- Tests for high blood pressure
- Pregnancy tests
- Health Education:
- Reproductive Life Planning
- Education about the prevention of sexually transmitted diseases and HIV/AIDS
- Education about the impact of lifestyle choices on reproductive health and outcomes
- Education about abstinence
- Education about natural family planning methods
- Education about the importance of preventive health screenings
- How to plan a healthy pregnancy (preconception planning)
- How to talk with parents and others about sexuality
- How to make responsible sexual decisions
- Public speakers and educational materials
- Parent-child communication
- Reproductive health
- Birth control
- Other family planning-related issues
Costs for Service at family planning clinics are based on ability to pay, and are often less than at other health centers. Services are free for people enrolled in Medicaid and those whose income is below 100% of the federal poverty level. Family planning clinics offer quality, confidential health care. Medical services are provided by physicians and nurse practitioners trained in family planning health care. Educational programs offered respond to local community needs.
Other Links of Interest:
For referral information, contact the Healthy Families Line at 1-800-369-2229
January 2021 Healthy Body, Healthy You webinar hosted by IDPH I-Smile and IDPH Title X Family Planning (1.5 nursing contact hours are available for this presentation, please use the contact information below for more details).
For more information:
Lindsey Jones, MHA
Lucas State Office Bldg.
321 East 12th Street
Des Moines, IA 50319-0075
Voice: (515) 321-8159
Fax: (515) 725-1760
You may "Contact Us" to submit questions online.
Healthy Families Line - 1-800-369-2229 (provides information on maternal, child and family planning services)
TEEN Line - 1-800-443-8336 (provides health information and referral to local resources for adolescents)