Information for the Public
What is Breast Cancer?
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention defines Breast Cancer as a disease in which cells in the breast grow out of control. There are different kinds of breast cancer. The kind of breast cancer depends on which cells in the breast turn into cancer.
Learn more about Breast Cancer, it's symptoms, how to reduce and assess your risk, and find out more about screening procedures at our Breast Cancer page.
1 in 8 Women will get breast cancer in their life. Early detection is the best protection.
The Care for Yourself Program offers free or low-cost healthcare services to eligible individuals.
You may qualify if you:
- Are between the ages 40-64 years of age;
- Are under age 40 and have signs of breast cancer;
- Have a monthly income of $2,683 (net) or less;
- *Add $946 for each additional household member
- Have no health insurance; or
- Have health insurance, but are unable to pay the co-payment or deductible; or
- Have health insurance but need help to make sure make sure you get screened
To check your eligibility and to enroll, call 1-866-339-7909. To find a local program near you please see our service area map.
Iowa WISEWOMAN Program
Women who meet eligibility requirements for the Care for Yourself program are also eligible for the WISEWOMAN program. The WISEWOMAN (Well-Integrated Screening and Evaluation for Women Across the Nation) program provides screenings for heart disease and stroke risk factors as well as lifestyle programs.
The following services are provided by the Iowa WISEWOMAN program:
- An office visit with a participating healthcare provider, including:
• Blood pressure readings
• Height and weight measurements
• Hip and waist measurements
• Cholesterol and diabetes screenings
Iowa WISEWOMAN participants are eligible to participate in the following lifestyle programs free of charge:
- Health coaching
•Up to 12 weeks of Weight Watchers™
•Home blood pressure monitoring
•Smoking cessation program referral
•Referrals to community-based resources
•Medication therapy management
Click here to find a WISEWOMAN program near you.