Brain Injury Prevention
Falls Prevention Awareness Resources
Falls continue to be the number one cause of traumatic brain injury in Iowa. The Brain Injury Service Program, along with the Advisory Council on Brain Injuries, partners with the Iowa Falls Prevention Coalition to raise awareness about falls prevention activities in Iowa.
To learn more about Falls Prevention in Iowa, visit https://idph.iowa.gov/falls-prevention.
Need Falls prevention awareness materials? Feel free to print and distribute the following, or contact the Brain Injury Program at 515-281-8465 to request items to be sent to you.
New CDC Report: Fall-related TBI deaths increase in the United States
A new study in CDC's Mobidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) "Deaths from fall-related traumatic brain injury - United States, 2088-2017" found that in most states the rate of fall-related TBI deaths has increased significantly and the country as a whole saw a 17% increase in fall-related TBI deaths.
For more inforrmation about falls in Iowa and evidence-based falls prevention programs, please visit https://idph.iowa.gov/falls-prevention
Bicycle Helmet Distribution
The Advisory Council on Brain Injuries (ACBI) wants to decrease the number of TBIs caused by falls off of bicycles by promoting helmet use in all populations, especially among children. One activity of the ACBI prevention task force has been to distribute bicycle helmets across Iowa in collaboration with the IDPH Children's EMS program.
Healthy Habit All Stars' video teaches youth importance of wearing a helmet
The IDPH Healthy Habit All Stars now includes information about wearing your helmet in the video "Brady's Noggin'."
Healthy Habit All Stars information can be viewed at https://idph.iowa.gov/Healthy-Habits-All-Stars
- Falls Prevention in Iowa - a collaboration between the Iowa Dept of Public Health, Iowa Dept on Aging, and the Iowa Falls Prevention Coalition, this website is a starting point for healthcare professionals and members of the public who are seeking information about preventing falls in Iowa.
- SafeKids Iowa - Based on the needs of the community, this coalition implements evidence-based programs, such as car-seat checkups, safety workshops and sports clinics, that help parents and caregivers prevent childhood injuries.
- Concussion tools for coaches - Aimed at high school coaches, the purpose of this kit is to provide strategies for reducing the concussions that can occur in any high school sport.
- The National Bike Safety Network - The National Bike Safety Network exchanges information on bike safety programs, legislation, and research; develops national programs on bicycle safety; and shares resources. An estimated 140,000 children are treated each year in emergency departments for head injuries sustained while bicycling.
- All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) Safety - The University of Iowa Stead Family Children's Hospital has ATV safety information including an ATV safety pledge and safety booklet.
- The Child Passenger Safety Fact Sheet - This fact sheet provides information on child passenger injuries and injury prevention strategies.