School Health Profiles
What is the School Health Profiles (Profiles)?
The School Health Profiles (Profiles) is a system of surveys assessing school health policies and practices in states, large urban school districts, and territories. Profiles surveys are conducted biennially by education and health agencies among middle and high school principals and lead health education teachers. Profiles monitors the current status of:
• School health education requirements and content
• Physical education and physical activity
• Practices related to bullying and sexual harassment
• School health policies related to tobacco-use prevention and nutrition
• School-based health services
• Family engagement and community involvement
• School health coordination
2020 is Iowa's first year participating in the School Health Profiles survey. We look forward to sharing the data with education and health officials, community stakeholders, and parents to:
• Describe school health policies and practices and compare them across jurisdictions
• Identify professional development needs
• Plan and monitor programs
• Support health-related policies and legislation
• Seek funding
• Garner support for future surveys
Iowa Youth Risk Behavior Survey
What is the Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS)?
The Youth Risk Behavior Survey is a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) funded project that was developed in 1990 to monitor a selection of youth health behaviors that contribute to the leading causes of death and disability. These behaviors are often developed during childhood and adolescence. The Iowa Youth Risk Behavior Survey is administered to 9th through 12th grade students in a randomly selected sample of Iowa high schools in odd calendar years. The YRBS assists the Iowa Department of Public Health with understanding youth behaviors that relate to:
- Unintended Pregnancy
- Sexually Transmitted Infections (Including HIV)
- Alcohol and Drug Use
- Tobacco Use
- Unhealthy Dietary Behaviors
- Lack of Physical Activity
The YRBS also allows IDPH to assess the prevalence of obesity and asthma in Iowa youth.
After multiple years of being administered by the Iowa Department of Education, the survey became incorporated into the work of the Iowa Department of Public Health's Data Management and Health Equity Program in 2018.
Where can I find Iowa Youth Risk Behavior Survey Data?
A video report of the 2019 Iowa Youth Risk Behavior Survey can be viewed at the IDPH YouTube channel.
Weighted data from the 2019 Iowa Youth Risk Behavior Survey can be found below.
Highlights of 2019 Iowa YRBS data including statewide trends, data highlights for Hispanic/Latinx youth, and gender disparities can be found in the series of fact sheets below.
Iowa YRBS 2019 Data Highlights Fact Sheets
National YRBS and states data from 2019 can be found through the Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System webpage.
Data from previous administrations of the Iowa Youth Risk Behavior Survey can be found here.
Where can I find more information about the Iowa Youth Risk Behavior Survey?
More information can be found on the CDC's webpage here. You can also review the materials below: