The Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) joins the Conference of Radiation Control Program Directors, Inc. (CRCPD) in recognition of National Radiation Protection Professionals Week November 8-14, 2020. The weeklong event to honor radiation protection professionals is set in November to coincide with the discovery of X-rays by Wilhelm Conrad Roentgen on November 8, 1895.
“Radiation protection professionals are dedicated individuals working to ensure safe exposure to radiation in medical procedures, industrial uses, product safety, emergency response and the environment in our homes,” said IDPH Bureau of Radiological Health chief Angela Leek. “Iowans are able to benefit from the many uses of radiation through the protection efforts of these individuals.” There are thousands of radiation protection professionals in Iowa, including:
- Radiologic technologists, nuclear medicine technologists, radiologist assistants and radiation therapists who perform medical imaging and therapy procedures.
- Radiologists and other physicians with expertise in radiation protection who advise patients and healthcare workers regarding radiation procedures.
- Medical Physicists providing clinical service and consultation to ensure accurate assessment of doses delivered to patients during medical imaging and therapy procedures.
- Registered equipment service providers who ensure that radiation machines are maintained and operating safely, as well as evaluating radiation shielding adequacy.
- Radiation Safety Officers on specific radioactive materials licenses who are responsible for ensuring safe use of radioactive materials under the license.
- Environmental Health and Safety personnel who work to ensure radiation safety in research.
- Health Physicists in the Bureau of Radiological Health who serve the citizens of Iowa to protect them from unnecessary and inadvertent exposure to radiation, as well as respond to any issues related to radiation in the state.
Radiation protection professionals provide leadership in protecting the public from the hazards of radiation. These dedicated individuals work diligently to ensure that radiation and radioactive materials are used safely and beneficially in thousands of different ways. To learn more about how IDPH protects Iowans from excessive amounts of radiation exposure, visit https://www.idph.iowa.gov/radiological-health.