Board of Physician Assistants - Apply For a New License
See left menu for Renewal and Reactivation
“A friendly reminder from the Iowa Department of Public Health and the National Transportation Safety Board: Please remember to routinely discuss with patients the effect a person’s diagnosed medical conditions or prescription medications may have on his or her ability to safely operate a vehicle in any mode of transportation.”
The documents below explain the required steps to complete the application process. While the process has several steps many of the requirements can be done simultaneously. Best practice is to apply online.
Documents may be submitted electronically to the Board office. The Board’s fax number is 515-281-3121. Emailed documents should go to email@example.com .
To expedite processing a new license request, take advantage of our secure online application.
- To access the Online Services web site click on this link: https://ibplicense.iowa.gov
- Select ‘Create an Account’ from left menu bar and follow the prompts on the screen to complete the process.
- For questions regarding accounts call the State of Iowa Service Desk at 515-281-5703 or 800-532-1174 or view the ‘Creating Your Account Tutorial’
- Make sure you write down all account information, you will need it every time you log in.
- Once the account is created, go to Online Services and select ‘Sign In’ from the left menu bar
- On the ‘My Profile’ page enter name and contact information, click ‘Submit’
- On the ‘My Profile Update’ page, click ‘Confirm and Apply for a License’
- On the ‘Apply for License’ page, select Board and License Type, click ‘Continue’
- Complete the application questions. All fields, even those which aren’t required at submission, should be completed.
- Upload Attachment: Supporting documentation can be uploaded 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Refer to the Application Guidelines above to determine if a document can be submitted by the applicant or must come directly from an outside agency. Note: attaching online is just an option.
- Pay the bill now using MasterCard, VISA, Discover, or American Express card.
- You will receive an email confirming receipt of your payment and a separate email confirming receipt of your application.
Applications are reviewed by Board staff as soon as possible, in the order received, typically within 2 – 3 weeks.
- Refer to the Application Guidelines above to determine what steps you can complete while awaiting review.
- Once your application is reviewed, you will receive an email with an attached letter indicating what additional information is required to approve the license.
The rules below describe the application process for Physician Assistants.
Due to COVID-19, paper applications will not be processed at this time. Apply, renew, or reactivate online at https://ibplicense.iowa.gov For questions about username and password, please call the State of Iowa Service Desk at 515-281-5703 or 800-532-1174. For assistance with the online application contact 515-281-0254.
Supervising physicians may be added to your online record 24 hours a day, 7 days a week through the Board’s online services webpage at: https://ibplicense.iowa.gov/mystatus. Use your @iowaID account and password to sign in. Click on the More Info link located at the bottom left of the My Licenses screen, under the Action column. Click on the Edit link located on the right side of the screen under Supervision. Read the Instructions posted on the License Detail – Process screen. Use the Add and Save buttons.