Board of Physical & Occupational Therapy - Frequently Asked Questions

The following Physical Therapists and Physical Therapy Assistants must submit completed waivers and a fingerprint card to the Board office by September 23, 2021 in order for their license to remain active. Beginning September 24, 2021, any license holder who has not submitted these documents will have an inactive license. If they wish to practice in Iowa they will be required to reactivate that license according to 645 IAC 200.15 and complete the waiver forms and fingerprint background check before that license would be reactivated.


Alphabetical order by last name


Al-Suleiman Ahmad Donnie
Anderson Aaron
Anderson Lauren
Arcadipane Nicholas
Boell Nathanial
Brock Samuel
Copeland Hannah
Fenol Janella
Gaeta Antonio
Garber Sydney
Gredvig Jacob
Gribler Alaina
Grosshuesch Kelsey
Hauser Nya
Hayden Hannah
Hesse Andrew
Hinkle Keli
Katzer Jessica
Klein Lindsey
Kreber Austin
LaDage Michelle
Lancaster Tabbatha
Lazar Anna
Maldonado Anthony
Maranda Reece
Miranda Gabriela
O'Halloran Abby
Olson Zackery
Pedersen Brenn
Raktavan Ketki
Rempe Kelsi
Roslansky Mattea
Samson Mary Jane
Schroeder Jessica
Schwendner Emily
Stecker Gabrielle
Sullivan Jeremiah
Thibodeau Kristen
Van Bramer Scott
Ward Morgan
Whitehurst Cody

License Application

How can I apply for a license?

See "Apply, Renew, Reactivate" listed on the left.

If I am not approved for licensure in Iowa, will I receive my application fee back?

No, application fees are non-refundable.

Physical Therapy Licensure, PT Compact Membership and PT CompacPrivileges


Name & Address Changes

How can I make an address and/or name change?

Any time there is an address and/or name change, it is up to you to let the board office know within 30 days of the change. Complete the "Name & Address Change" form available on this site.

Duplicate Certificate or Wallet Card

How can I get a duplicate license?

You can request a duplicate license and/or wallet card by accessing the Board’s online services webpage at: https://ibplicense.iowa.gov/mystatus. Use your @iowaID account and password to sign in. If you forgot your password, click on Forgot Password link located at the top of the Sign In page. Once logged in to your account, click on the [Online Services] link located at the bottom left of the My Licenses page. Select the Online Service of either Request Certificate or Request Wallet Card. Provide Reason for Request. Do not upload any attachments on the following screen. Complete the process by following the prompts on the screen. Once payment has been made, the document(s) will be mailed the following business day. The fee is $20.00 per request.

Or complete the "Application for Duplicate License" and mail it along with the correct fee.

Continuing Education

Where can I find information about continuing education?

See the "Continuing Education" page on this site for specific information regarding your continuing education.


You can renew your license up to 60 days before your current license expires.

Renewal notifications will be emailed to your email address on file with the board at 60, 50, 40 and 30 days prior to the license expiration date. If you have not renewed your license 20 days prior to the license expiration date, a postcard will be mailed to your mailing address on file.

See the "Renewal" page on the left for more information.

Can I use the extra continuing education hours that I earned from my previous renewal for the present renewal?

The only time this is allowed is for your second renewal.

For those newly licensed, continuing education is not required for the first license renewal. Any continuing education hours obtained anytime from the initial licensing date may be used for the second license renewal. After the second renewal, licensees are required to complete the full number of required continuing education hours within each compliance period. For more information see "Continuing Education" page on this website.

When does my license expire?

You can find the license expiration date on your most recent wallet card.

What is the license renewal fee?

See Chapter 5 under "Laws and Rules" listed on the left.

What are the required courses for mandatory reporters of child and adult abuse?

License Reactivation

How can I reactivate my license?

See the "Reactivation" page on this website for more information.

List of Licensees

You can download a list of licensees at any time.  Select the tutorial below for step by step instructions.

Exporting a List of Licensees PDF

Licensure in other States

What are the requirements for licensure in another state?

You will need to contact the board in that state and find out the requirements. Our verification fee for verifying your license to another state is $20.00. Include a money order or cashier's check for that amount along with your written request. Make check payable to your specific board (e.g., Iowa Board of Athletic Training).

License Verification

How do I verify a license for a licensed professional?

Go to https://IBPlicense.iowa.gov and select License Search. Insert your name or license number. Select your profession from the dropdown list. You may print a copy of your licensure status by selecting Print.

Disclaimer: The Bureau is responsible for maintaining all of the information on the website, including licensure information and public disciplinary action. The information provided on the website is the same information provided through verbal and mail verification, and is true and complete to the best of our knowledge.

The professional boards require primary source verification of credentials prior to issuing a license in this state. The Bureau believes this site is appropriate for verification information, but is not responsible for determining appropriateness of information compared to standards of any given organization or program.

Inactive License

How do I put my license on hold?

It is not necessary to place your license on hold. If you do not renew your license by 30 days after the license expiration date, it will automatically be placed on inactive status.


How can I file a complaint?

See the "Complaints" page listed on the left for more information about how to file a complaint.


Possible Roles for PTs and PTAs during the COVID-19 Pandemic 

FSBPT and jurisdictional licensing boards are receiving many questions about what role PTs and PTAs may play during the response phase of the Coronavirus disease pandemic.

FSBPT has put together a document detailing this information that draws heavily from the FSBPT Practice Analysis for Entry-level Physical Therapists and Physical Therapist Assistants. This may be helpful for regulators when addressing these questions during this pandemic.


Contact Information & Office Hours

Bureau of Professional Licensure
321 E. 12th St.
Des Moines, IA 50319


Phone: (515) 281-0254

Fax: (515) 281-3121

Bureau Website: https://idph.iowa.gov/licensure

Online Licensure Services: https://ibplicense.iowa.gov

Email: PLPublic@idph.iowa.gov


Office Hours:

8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Monday through Friday, excluding state holidays