Board of Cosmetology Arts & Sciences - Renewal
You can renew your license(s) up to 60 days before your current license expires.
Personal License(s): You may begin the renewal process on January 31 the year the license expires. Look at your current wallet card for the expiration date.
Salon License(s): You may begin the renewal process on November 2 of even numbered years.
For timely renewal the Board has offered online renewal options at https://ibplicense.iowa.gov.
If your salon license is not renewed on time you will not be able to continue to operate and may face Board discipline.
School License(s): You may begin the renewal process on May 2 annually.
Renewal notifications will be emailed to your email address on file with the board at 60, 50, 40 and 30 days prior to the license expiration date. Renew your license early to avoid a late fee or lapse in licensure. All continuing education requirements must be completed prior to license renewal.
To expedite the processing of your license renewal, you can take advantage of our secure online renewal application.
- Log in to your online account by clicking on this link: https://ibplicense.iowa.gov/mystatus
- Enter your account ID.
- Enter your password. If you forgot your password, click on the Forgot Password link located at the top of the sign in page.
- On the My Profile page: update any old information, select [Submit]. Ensure your profile has your current email and mailing address at all times.
- On the My Profile Update page select [Confirm] and Go to My Licenses
- At the bottom left on My Licenses page select [Renew]
- Answer all renewal questions.
- Pay the bill now using MasterCard, VISA, Discover credit or debit card.
Salon Self Inspection Checklist
Salon Establishment Rules
Please refer to board rules for the process to renew a salon establishment license.
Due to COVID-19, paper applications will not be processed at this time. Apply or renew online at https://ibplicense.iowa.gov For questions about username and password, please call the State of Iowa Service Desk at 515-281-5703 or 800-532-1174. For assistance with the online application contact 515-281-0254.