Board of Behavioral Science - Frequently Asked Questions

FAQs for Temporary License

What is a temporary license?

A temporary license is a license to practice marital and family therapy or mental health counseling under direct supervision of a qualified supervisor as determined by the board by rule to fulfill the postgraduate supervised clinical experience requirement.

Who can apply for a temporary license?

Any person who has fulfilled all of the requirements for Mental Health Counselor or Marital and Family Therapy licensure, except for having completed the postgraduate supervised clinical experience requirement and the exam, may apply to the board for a temporary license.

Do I have to apply for a temporary license?

You do not have to apply for a temporary license and can complete a clinical experience under the exemption provided for in Iowa Code Chapter 154D.4,2,b. You may want to consult with your employer to determine what they require.

Do I need to have an education review completed by the Center for Credentialing and Education (CCE) to obtain a temporary license?

If you graduated from a counseling program that was not accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP), specifically in Mental Health Counseling, you must present with your state licensure application an equivalency evaluation of your educational credentials completed by CCE. Some colleges and universities have more than one type of counseling program. Others hold CACREP accreditation in some programs but not in others. You are exempt from the CCE equivalency evaluation only if you meet both of the following criteria: (1) you graduated from a program in Mental Health Counseling, and (2) the Mental Health Counseling Program was CACREP-accredited at the time of your graduation. If you are unsure, check directly with the Mental Health Counseling Program director at your institution or check the CACREP Directory of Accredited Programs website.

Can I apply for a temporary license after I complete my postgraduate supervised clinical experience if I fail the examination?

No. A temporary license will be issued to an individual to fulfill the supervised clinical experience requirement for licensure under direct supervision of a qualified supervisor. A temporary license will not be issued or renewed if the supervised clinical experience has been met.

How long is a temporary license good for?

A temporary license for the purpose of fulfilling the postgraduate supervised clinical experience requirement is valid for three years and may be renewed at the discretion of the board.

If I have completed my clinical experience requirements and am already licensed in another state can I be issued a temporary license?

No. A temporary license will be issued to an individual to fulfill the supervised clinical experience requirement for licensure under direct supervision of a qualified supervisor.

If I have already completed a portion of my supervision do I need to have the remaining hours of supervision approved to obtain a temporary license?

If you have completed a portion of your supervision prior to applying for a temporary license you should submit an “Attestation of Supervision” form to request approval of the hours of supervision already completed and submit an “Attestation of Supervision” form to request approval of the supervisor(s) that will be providing supervision for the remainder of your clinical experience.

If I change my supervisor do I need to report this to the board?

Yes. The temporary licensee must notify the board immediately in writing of any proposed change in supervisor(s) and obtain approval of any change in supervisor(s).

Can I have more than one supervisor?

Yes, you may have more than one supervisor but each supervisor must be approved by the Board. Regardless of the number of supervisors you have you will still be required to complete a minimum of two years of full-time supervised professional work experience in mental health counseling.

Can I continue to practice with a temporary license after my clinical experience is complete?

Within 30 days of completion of the supervised clinical experience, the attestation of the completed supervised experience must be submitted to the board office.

What is the fee for a temporary license? If I have already completed a portion of my clinical experience will you prorate the fee?

The nonrefundable application fee for a temporary license is $120. The fee will not be prorated.

Will I be required to pay another application fee when I apply for a permanent license?

Yes. The $120 nonrefundable application fee is required for each license you apply for.

License Application

How can I apply for a license?

See web page "Application Process & Form" listed on the left.

If I am not approved for licensure in Iowa, will I receive my application fee back?

No, application fees are non-refundable.

Name & Address Changes

How can I make an address and/or name change?

Any time there is an address and/or name change, it is up to you to let the board office know within 30 days of the change. Complete the "Name & Address Change" form available on this site.

Duplicate Certificate or Wallet Card

How can I get a duplicate license?

You can request a duplicate license and/or wallet card by accessing the Board’s online services webpage at: https://ibplicense.iowa.gov/mystatus. Use your @iowaID account and password to sign in. If you forgot your password, click on Forgot Password link located at the top of the Sign In page. Once logged in to your account, click on the [Online Services] link located at the bottom left of the My Licenses page. Select the Online Service of either Request Certificate or Request Wallet Card. Provide Reason for Request. Do not upload any attachments on the following screen. Complete the process by following the prompts on the screen. Once payment has been made, the document(s) will be mailed the following business day. The fee is $20.00 per request.

Or complete the "Application for Duplicate License" and mail it along with the correct fee.

Continuing Education

Where can I find information about continuing education?

See the "Continuing Education" page on this site for specific information regarding your continuing education.


I have not received notification regarding renewal of my license. How can I renew?

Online license renewal is fast and safe! https://IBPLicense.iowa.gov/ Click here to renew online up to 60 days before your current license expires and follow the directions.

You will be asked to verify that you have met the continuing education requirements. You may renew your license for 30 days after your current license expires but will be required to pay a late fee.

Paper applications will NOT be mailed. Instead you will receive a postcard as a reminder it is time to renew the license. If you do not renew online you may download a paper renewal from the "Renewal" page on this website.

Can I use the extra continuing education hours that I earned from my previous renewal for the present renewal?

The only time this is allowed is for your second renewal.

For those newly licensed, continuing education is not required for the first license renewal. Any continuing education hours obtained anytime from the initial licensing date may be used for the second license renewal. After the second renewal, licensees are required to complete the full number of required continuing education hours within each compliance period. For more information see "Continuing Education" page on this website.

When does my license expire?

See the "Renewal" page on this website for specific information.

What is the license renewal fee?

See the "Fees" page on the website for specific information.

What are the required courses for mandatory reporters of child and adult abuse?

License Reactivation

How can I reactivate my license?

See the "Reactivation" page on this website for more information.

List of Licensees

You can download a list of licensees at any time.  Select the tutorial below for step by step instructions.

Exporting a List of Licensees  PDF

Licensure in other States

What are the requirements for licensure in another state?

You will need to contact the board in that state and find out the requirements. Our verification fee for verifying your license to another state is $20.00. Include a money order or cashier's check for that amount along with your written request. Make check payable to your specific board (e.g., Iowa Board of Athletic Training).

License Verification

How do I verify a license for a licensed professional?

Go to https://IBPlicense.iowa.gov and select License Search. Insert your name or license number. Select your profession from the dropdown list. You may print a copy of your licensure status by selecting Print.

Disclaimer: The Bureau is responsible for maintaining all of the information on the website, including licensure information and public disciplinary action. The information provided on the website is the same information provided through verbal and mail verification, and is true and complete to the best of our knowledge.

The professional boards require primary source verification of credentials prior to issuing a license in this state. The Bureau believes this site is appropriate for verification information, but is not responsible for determining appropriateness of information compared to standards of any given organization or program.

Inactive License

How do I put my license on hold?

It is not necessary to place your license on hold. If you do not renew your license by 30 days after the license expiration date, it will automatically be placed on inactive status.


How can I file a complaint?

See the "Complaints" page listed on the left for more information about how to file a complaint.