Board of Athletic Training - Frequently Asked Questions

Joint Statement from the Iowa Boards of Athletic Training and Physical Therapy

Physical Therapy and Athletic Training share some common elements in their scope of practice. It is not uncommon to see some service being provided by both Physical Therapists and Athletic Trainers. This can lead to confusion by the public as to whether this individual is a Physical Therapist or Athletic Trainer. This matter is compounded by the fact that many individuals are licensed in both professions and some businesses or schools have Physical Therapists and Athletic Trainers working in concert with each other.

While a Physical Therapist can provide services to athletes or teams, they need to be certain that they don’t present themselves as "Athletic Trainers". Similarly, while Athletic Trainers may provide services similar to or in conjunction with a Physical Therapist, they need to be sure that they don’t present themselves as "Physical Therapists".

How to create your online account

Creating your account PDF

List of Licensees

You can download a list of licensees at any time.  Select the tutorial below for step by step instructions.

Exporting a List of Licensees  PDF

License Application

How can I apply for a license?

See "Apply, Renew, and Reactivate" listed on the left.

If I am not approved for licensure in Iowa, will I receive my application fee back?

No, application fees are non-refundable.

Name & Address Changes

How can I make an address and/or name change?

See Name Change listed on the left.

Address changes can be made by updating your profile. Log in to your online account by clicking on this link: https://ibplicense.iowa.gov/mystatus

Duplicate Certificate or Wallet Card

How can I get a duplicate license?

Click here for information on requesting a duplicate license.

Continuing Education

Where can I find information about continuing education?

See the "Continuing Education" page on this site for specific information regarding your continuing education.


See "Apply, Renew, and Reactivate" listed on the left. Click on Renew.


Can I use the extra continuing education hours that I earned from my previous renewal for the present renewal?

The only time this is allowed is for your second renewal.

For those newly licensed, continuing education is not required for the first license renewal. Any continuing education hours obtained anytime from the initial licensing date may be used for the second license renewal. After the second renewal, licensees are required to complete the full number of required continuing education hours within each compliance period. For more information see "Continuing Education" page on this website.

When does my license expire?

See the "Renewal" page on this website for specific information.

What is the license renewal fee?

See the "Fees" page on the website for specific information.

What are the required courses for mandatory reporters of child and adult abuse?

License Reactivation

How can I reactivate my license?

See "Apply, Renew, and Reactivate" listed on the left. Click on Reactivate.

Licensure in other States

What are the requirements for licensure in another state?

You will need to contact the board in that state and find out the requirements. Our verification fee for verifying your license to another state is $20.00. Include a money order or cashier's check for that amount along with your written request. Make check payable to your specific board (e.g., Iowa Board of Athletic Training).

License Verification

How do I verify a license for a licensed professional?

Go to https://IBPlicense.iowa.gov and select License Search. Insert your name or license number. Select your profession from the dropdown list. You may print a copy of your licensure status by selecting Print.

Disclaimer: The Bureau is responsible for maintaining all of the information on the website, including licensure information and public disciplinary action. The information provided on the website is the same information provided through verbal and mail verification, and is true and complete to the best of our knowledge.

The professional boards require primary source verification of credentials prior to issuing a license in this state. The Bureau believes this site is appropriate for verification information, but is not responsible for determining appropriateness of information compared to standards of any given organization or program.

Inactive License

How do I put my license on hold?

It is not necessary to place your license on hold. If you do not renew your license by 30 days after the license expiration date, it will automatically be placed on inactive status.


How can I file a complaint?

See Complaints listed on the left.