Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
A global respiratory illness was discovered in late 2019 that causes very severe illness and death in some; and very minor symptoms in others. There is still a lot to learn about the disease for which there is no known cure. The disease is present in all 99 counties in Iowa. It's important for every Iowan to do their part to help slow the spread of the disease.
Know how it Spreads
The best way to prevent getting the virus is to not be exposed to it in the first place.
- Wash your hands often, with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- Use a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay at least six feet from others at all times.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a mask when around others.
- The mask helps to protect others if you are sick and don't know it.
- Everyone should wear a mask when in public settings; especially when social distancing measures are difficult to maintain.
- Continue to maintain social distancing even when wearing a mask.
- Be alert for symptoms. Watch for fever, cough, shortness of breath, or other symptoms of COVID-19.
COVID-19 in Iowa Dashboard
To view the latest information on COVID-19 in Iowa, visit coronavirus.iowa.gov.