COVID-19 Vaccine Information for the Public
If you have general questions about the vaccine, call 211. Resource specialists are available 24 hours a day to answer basic questions. Check with your health care provider with questions specific to your health situation.
Vaccine Distribution to Priority Populations - Phase I
Iowa is currently vaccinating individuals in Phase 1A, that includes health care providers and long term care residents.
Phase 1B begins February 1, 2021. However, vaccine remains in short supply. This means not everyone in Phase 1B will be able to get vaccinated right away. To help balance vaccine supply with the Phase 1B demands, IDPH has implemented a tiered prioritization, outlined below. IDPH remains in close contact with our federal partners to communicate Iowa’s need for additional vaccines.
Phase 1B Priority Populations:
Persons aged 65 years and over. OR, the following populations vulnerable to high risk of exposure or severity of illness (listed in order of priority):
- First Responders
- PK-12 staff, early childhood education, childcare workers
- Frontline essential workers in food, agriculture, distribution, and manufacturing sectors who live or work in non-social distanced settings
- Individuals with disabilities living in home settings and their direct care staff
- Staff and individuals living in congregate settings not covered by previous Phase or Tier
- Government officials, including staff, engaged in business at the State Capitol
- Inspectors responsible for health, life and safety
- Correctional facility staff and individuals incarcerated
IDPH continues to urge Iowans that while the vaccine is still a scarce resource, to practice virus mitigation efforts.
V-Safe After Vaccination Health Checker
CDC has created a way for you to report how you feel after COVID-19 vaccination through a smartphone-based tool that uses text messaging and web surveys to check in with you. Below are additional v-safe fact sheets and posters along with simple instructions to sign up.
v-safe fact sheet, poster
v-safe web site
Translated v-safe fach sheets: Spanish Korean Simplified Chinese Vietnamese
Translated v-safe posters: Spanish Korean Simplified Chinese Vietnamese
Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS)
Infectious Disease Advisory Council
CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Information for Consumers
What to expect at your vaccination appointment
What to expect after getting vaccinated
Benefits of Getting a COVID-19 Vaccine
How COVID-19 Vaccines Work
Myths and Misconceptions about COVID-19 Vaccines
Frequently Asked Questions about COVID-19 Vaccination
Ensuring COVID-19 Vaccines Work | CDC
Facts about COVID-19 Vaccines
How CDC Is Making COVID-19 Vaccine Recommendations | CDC
COVID-19 Vaccination Resources
Different COVID-19 Vaccines