Bureau of Radiological Health
The mission of the Bureau of Radiological Health programs is to protect Iowans from excessive exposure to radiation. Each year, Iowans are exposed to an average of 300 millirem of natural radiation and 60 millirem of manmade radiation. The Bureau functions under legislative mandates found in the Iowa Code, Chapters 136B, C and D.
Program activities include:
- licensing of facilities using radioactive materials;
- registration of facilities using radiation-producing machines or operating tanning units;
- inspection of facilities using radioactive materials;
- credentialing of persons using radioactive material or operating radiation-emitting machines;
- approval of training courses and continuing education; and
- emergency response as it relates to radioactive materials and nuclear power plant incidents.
How to get to the website to print off Iowa Rules
Lucas State Office Bldg
Des Moines, IA 50319