Who is Eligible for a Medical Cannabidiol Registration Card?
Two categories of persons eligible to apply for the Medical Cannabidiol Registration Card:
- patients age 18 and older who have at least one of the qualifying debilitating medical condition; and
- primary caregivers for patients who have at least one of the qualifying debilitating medical condition.
“Patient” means a person who is a permanent resident of the state of Iowa who suffers from a debilitating medical condition that qualifies for the use of medical cannabidiol pursuant to 2017 Iowa Acts, House File 524.
The current debilitating medical conditions that qualify a patient for this program:
- Cancer (with severe or chronic pain, nausea or severe vomiting, cachexia or severe wasting);
- Multiple sclerosis with severe and persistent muscle spasms;
- AIDS or HIV (as defined in Iowa Code, section 141A.1);
- Crohn’s disease;
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS);
- Any terminal illness, with a probable life expectancy of under one year (if the illness or its treatment produces one or more of the following: severe or chronic pain, nausea or severe vomiting; cachexia or severe wasting);
- Parkinson’s disease; and
- Untreatable pain.
“Permanent resident” means a natural person who physically resides in Iowa as the person’s principal and primary residence and who establishes evidence of such residency by providing the Iowa Department of Public Health with one of the following:
- A valid Iowa driver’s license,
- A valid Iowa non-operator’s identification card,
- A valid Iowa voter registration card,
- A current Iowa vehicle registration certificate,
- A utility bill,
- A statement from a financial institution,
- A residential lease agreement,
- A check or pay stub from an employer,
- A child’s school or child care enrollment documents,
- Valid documentation establishing a filing of homestead or military tax exemption on property located in Iowa,
- Other valid documentation as deemed acceptable by the department to establish residency, or
- A valid state-issued driver’s license or nonoperator’s identification card issued by a state other than Iowa (for primary caregiver applicants who do not reside in Iowa).
“Primary Caregiver” means a person, at least 18 years of age, who is a resident of Iowa or a bordering state, including, but not limited to a parent or legal guardian, who has been designated by a patient’s health care practitioner as a necessary caretaker taking responsibility for managing the well-being of the patient with respect to the use of medical cannabidiol pursuant to the provision of 2017 Iowa Acts, House File 524.