Healthy Iowans: Iowa's Health Improvement Plan 2017-2021
Healthy Iowans: Iowa's Health Improvement Plan 2017-2021 includes goals, objectives, and strategies along with resources to protect and improve the health of Iowans over the next five years. More than 80 public and private groups agreed to implement the strategies outlined in the plan. Central to the plan are 26 top health issues selected through an assessment process that began in every county. Public comments constituted the final step. Every year, progress will be tracked, and the plan will be revised to account for changes as well as emerging issues. The Iowa Department of Public Health serves as the coordinating agency for the document. Comments and questions about the plan are welcome.
The health improvement plan is provided here in its entirety and as topic-specific files. This version of the plan was released in March 2017. Annual progress reports and previous plans are provided below.
Download the presentation on Health Equity and Healthy Iowans: Iowa's Health Improvement Plan 2017-2021 presented on April 11, 2017 at the Iowa Governor's Conference on Public Health.
Health Equity/Social Determinants of Health
- Health Equity & the Social Determinants of Health
- Safe, Affordable Housing
- Maternal, Infant, and Early & Middle Childhood; Adolescence; Early, Middle, and Older Adulthood
Health System Improvement
- Health System Improvement & Evidence-Based Decision Making
- Insurance Affordability & Coverage
- Lack of Primary Care Services
- Adolescent Immunizations
- Flu Immunizations
- Substance Abuse
- Tobacco/Nicotine Use
- Heart Disease
- Network infrastructure, planning, & notification
- Obesity, Nutrition, & Physical Activity
- Lack of Oral Health/Dental Services
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Injury and Violence
- Motor Vehicle Crashes
- Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs)/Trauma Informed Care
- Occupational & Farm Safety
Mental Health, Illness, and Suicide
- Lack of Mental Health Services
- Mental Health
- Mental Illnesses
Annual Progress Reports
Prior to publication, Healthy Iowans: Iowa's Health Improvement Plan 2017-2021 was posted for public comment. More than 45 comments were received, reviewed and incorporated where appropriate. To view the summarized comments, responses, and page number references, please click the file below.