Medical Cannabidiol Information for Patients and Caregivers
The following information is designed and organized to help certified patients and caregivers understand Iowa’s Medical Cannabidiol Program.
To qualify as a patient for Iowa’s medical cannabidiol program, a patient must be able to prove permanent Iowa residency and provide physician certification of one of the following qualifying medical conditions:
- Cancer – if the illness or its treatment produces one or more of the following: severe or chronic pain, nausea or severe vomiting, cachexia or severe wasting.
- Crohn’s disease
- Untreatable pain - any pain whose cause cannot be removed and, according to generally accepted medical practice, the full range of pain management modalities appropriate for the patient has been used without adequate result or with intolerable side effects.
- Multiple Sclerosis with severe and persistent muscle spasms
- AIDS or HIV (as defined in Iowa Code, section 141A.1)
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Parkinson’s disease
- Any terminal illness with a probable life expectancy of under one year – if the illness or its treatment produces one or more of the following: severe or chronic pain, nausea or severe vomiting, cachexia or severe wasting
- Ulcerative colitis
- Severe, pediatric autism with aggressive or self-injurious behaviors (effective 4/2/19)
Patient Information Sheet
The following document is an information sheet that physicians are required to discuss with patients. It provides explanatory information about the possible risks, benefits and side effects of medical cannabidiol.
The following brochure is designed to help Iowa patients understand the patient registration process and how to obtain medical cannabidiol. Additionally, if you are a healthcare provider and would like copies for your office or waiting room, please call or email us and we would be happy to send some to you.
Available Medical Cannabidiol Products
Iowa’s manufacturer produces medical cannabis products in different forms and strengths, examples can be found at MedPharm Iowa's website.
Allowable Forms of Medical Cannabidiol in Iowa
- Oral forms - tablets, capsules, liquids, tinctures and sublingual forms
- Topical forms - gels, ointments, creams, lotions and transdermal patches
- Nebulizable inhaled forms
- Suppositories - rectal and vaginal
- Vaporization (effective 5/15/19)
Medical Cannabidiol will be available at five dispensaries across the state on December 1, 2018. The locations include:
- MedPharm Iowa – 5700 Sunnybrook Drive, Sioux City, IA 51106
- Have A Heart Compassionate Care – 3615 9th Avenue, Council Bluffs, IA 51501
- MedPharm Iowa – 7229 Apple Valley Drive, Windsor Heights, IA 50324
- Iowa Cannabis Company – 1955 La Porte Road, Waterloo, IA 50702
- Have A Heart Compassionate Care – 2222 E. 53rd Street, Davenport, IA 52807