Better Choices, Better Health
Put Life Back in Your Life
Who We Are
Better Choices, Better Health (also known as the Chronic Disease Self-Management Program) helps adults manage the symptoms of chronic diseases, such as arthritis, heart disease, stroke, asthma, lung disease, diabetes, diabetes, osteoporosis, and other chronic conditions. This evidence-based program, developed by Stanford University, is held weekly for 2 ½ hours for six weeks at community-based locations in participating counties.
The workshop sessions are taught by trained leaders in the community; many of whom also have chronic conditions. This creates an environment of mutual support, which builds participants’ confidence in their ability to manage their health and lead active lives.
- Techniques to deal with isolation, frustration, fatigue, and pain
- Suitable exercises for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility, and endurance
- Appropriate use of medications
- How to communicate effectively with family, friends, and health professionals
- Healthy eating and nutrition tips
- How to evaluate treatment options
Workshop participants will use a variety of resources in the Better Choices, Better Health workshop sessions, including:
- The companion book, Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions
- An audio relaxation CD, Time for Healing
- To learn more and hear participant comments, view the Health for a Lifetime Video.